Sometimes we buy food that we have to keep for a longer time. But to many times we made mistakes when we store food especially types that can’t last longer like fruits and vegetables. So next time you buy food more than you can eat we give you 10 easy trick that can help you not to waste any more fruits of vegetables.
1. Don’t wash the vegetables before you put them in the refrigerator. If you wash them you will remove their protective layer that prevents them from rotting and sprouting.
2. The fruits should always be dry. Before you put them in the refrigerator wipe them with a dry towel. This will prevent rotting and also prevent mold.
3. Some vegetables and fruits should not be stored in refrigerator. Peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes stay longer if you store them on a room temperature.
4. Wrap the top of the bananas with plastic foil. This will slow down the process of ripening and rotting.
5. Store your fresh fruits on the lowest temperatures in the refrigerator. That way they will preserve their freshness and their flavor for longer period.
6. Potatoes and onions should not be stored together and next to each other. They will stay fresh longer if you keep them away from each other.
7. Store onions and garlic in dark places. It will be a good idea to keep them in dark paper bags that should have a few holes on them, so that you can allow the air to flow freely through the bag.
8. Apples are able to keep the freshness of the potatoes for longer time. Therefore place some apples in the where you keep your potatoes and they will remain as fresh as when you bought them.
9. Broccoli and cauliflower like water. So if you want to keep them fresh longer, place them in small bowl with water and cover them with a cloth. Then put them in the fridge and they will be fresh at least few more days than usual.
10. Wrap celery in aluminum foil, because if you leave it in a plastic or paper bag, it will lose elasticity and its flavor.